All the flavors of traditional lasagna (including noodles!) plus a few special extras make up the flavor profile of this ultimate lasagna.
Lasagna. Garfield’s favorite treat. The ultimate Italian comfort food. And one of my family’s (perhaps yours, too) most beloved meals. Unfortunately, when made in the typical traditional way, lasagna is a major bummer on your blood sugar.
Enter the beauty of Dreamfield’s pasta. Dreamfield’s tastes just like regular store-bought pasta, but it has a special coating that causes you to not digest the majority of the carbs.
For this reason, you’ll notice in the nutrition facts that the carbs look super high and, if you’re doing Trim Healthy Mama or keto, that makes this lasagna way off plan. But, because of this coating, each serving yields a mere 5 carbs instead of the hefty amount indicated.
If for any reason you would rather not have yummy pasta, then you can easily sub it for eggplant, spaghetti squash, sliced zucchini, or whatever you like.
TJ's Ultimate Lasagna
- "noodles" of choice: thin sliced zucchini, thin sliced eggplant, or about 8 Dreamfields lasagna noodles
For Meat Mixture
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground meat (beef, venison, elk, turkey, chicken, etc.)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
For Creamy Mixture
- 16 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground ceylon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- dried or chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Boil the Dreamfields pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9- by 13-inch glass or ceramic dish by lightly greasing it with coconut oil cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix the ground meat, sausage, and onions together in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the meats have browned, add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Mix in the remaining meat mixture ingredients and cook just until heated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the creamy mixture ingredients.
- Place a layer of "noodles" in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Spread out all of the creamy mixture on top these "noodles."
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese atop the creamy mixture.
- Place another layer of "noodles" atop the mozzarella.
- Spread all of the meat mixture over these "noodles."
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on remaining mozzarella and optional garnish parsley.
- Return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into 12 squares with a serrated knife.
Nutrition facts are approximate and may vary based on several factors. Please read my Nutrition Disclaimer.