Enjoy sweet and smooth maple syrup without all the sugar or calories with this quick and easy to make homemade sugar free maple syrup!
The inspiration behind this recipe is a deep love for pancakes. That and a deep desire to save money. Before I developed this simple yet tasty recipe, I was using Nature’s Hollow’s Sugar Free Maple Syrup. And, yeah, I still keep a bottle or two of Nature’s Hollow syrup on hand for times when I am super busy and don’t have time to make my own. But mainly I just whip up a batch of this easy and equally delicious homemade maple syrup.
In this recipe, I made a point to use xanthan gum as the thickener. If you like glucomannan as a thickener, you can use that istead. I personally do not like either the flavor nor the consistency that glucomannan (or gluccie as we Trim Healthy Mamas call it) creates.
Oh and something neat about this recipe. Want raspberry syrup? Ok, just swap the maple flavoring with raspberry flavoring. Want banana syrup? Swap the maple flavoring with banana flavoring. You get the point, just swap the maple flavoring for whatever flavoring you like!
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
- In a small bowl or liquid mesauring cup, mix ¼ cup cold water with xanthan gum or gluccie (sprinkle on the xanthan gum or gluccie to prevent clumping; if clumps happen anyway, smash them to smithereens with the back of a spoon). Set aside.
- Whisk remaining water, sweetener, and salt together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- While whisking, mix in the xanthan gum or gluccie water.
- Stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
- Whisk in maple flavoring and vanilla.
- Mixture should thicken more as it cools. If you'd like it to be thicker, add more xanthan gum or gluccie a pinch at a time (remember to sprinkle it in and smash its clumps).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.