Soft noodles, gooey cheese, rich sauce, a crumbly topping–these words simply burst forth with “comfort food!” And they’re all characteristics of the universally known and loved stuff known as macaroni and cheese.
Traditional macaroni and cheese is made with carby but so, so delicious noodles. This recipe, however, is made using Dreamfields macaroni pasta. Dreamfields is coated with special stuff that prevents the body from absorbing the majority of the carbs, making it lean and easy on blood sugar (so long as it is cooked properly). However, Dreamfields pasta tastes just like regular pasta, so you (and your family) won’t notice anything different! If you’re doing Trim Healthy Mama, be sure to cook the pasta per the directions and only enjoy a serving of this probably once a week.
What makes this macaroni and cheese recipe unique from a basic macaroni and cheese one are a couple of different ingredients. Specifically, cottage cheese and egg yolk. These ingredients add a richness to the flavor and a dreamy, creamy overall consistency.
Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 1 package (13.2 ounces) Dreamfields macaroni pasta OR equivalent riced cauliflower, zucchini noodles, konjac noodles, or spaghetti squash (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup 1% small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (more if you like it spicy)
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9- by 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish by spraying it with coconut oil cooking spray; set aside.
- Prepare the macaroni noodles according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the cottage cheese, milk, cream, egg yolk, mustard powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg together in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Drain the macaroni and add the creamy mixture to it. Add all but about ½ cup of the cheese and mix everything together.
- Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and drizzle the butter over the top.
- Bake for 30 or more minutes or until heated through, bubbly, and the cheese on top is beginning to crisp.
- Garnish with fresh or dried parsley (optional).