The silky, sticky sweetness of honey is within reach even on a low glycemic diet with this simple, homemade honey recipe!
Since real honey, while nutritious and delicious and amazing, is not conducive to weight loss on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, and since Nature’s Hollow’s substitute honey is kinda pricey, I decided to create my own homemade honey flavored sauce.
This recipe is basically exactly the same as the homemade sugar free maple syrup recipe that I shared before. However, there are a few important tweaks which transform this thickened sweet sauce from that maple syrup into this easy and delicious homemade honey.
The resulting homemade honey that this recipe produces is great for serving atop of pancakes, in tea, or for using in recipes that call for real or substitute honey (such as my Sweet Barbacoa or my Best Barbecue Sauce).
In this funny honey (I like to call it that because it’s faux honey, or fake honey, and the f + oney is foney or funny, so funny honey!), I used some honey flavor extract. This adds a little more honey-ish flavor, but if you’d rather not buy it or use it at all, feel free to omit it. The resulting syrup will still be sweet and serve as an excellent substitute for real honey.
- Mix ¼ cup cold water with xanthan gum.
- Mix remaining water, sweetener, and salt together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- While whisking, mix in the xanthan gum water.
- Stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add in honey flavoring and food coloring.
- Mixture should thicken more as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.