Smoky, tangy, gooey cheeses meld with the subtly sweet, malty flavor of tender crab meat in this super easy to make crab and cheese fondue recipe.
One of my favorite places in the whole wide world to eat at is the Melting Pot. Their cheese fondues are ah-mazing and so is the chocolate fondue for dessert. However, the chief qualms I have with the Melting Pot are twofold: they’re SUPER expensive and so many of the ingredients they use are not on plan for Trim Healthy Mama.
Well, with Valentine’s Day coming up, I really wanted a yummy, easy to make cheese fondue to indulge in. So I came up with this simple, yet flavor rich, recipe.
Now, I personally am fine with just plain cheese fondue. My husband, on the other hand, is the kind who always wants lots of meat in everything. So I decided to transform the basic cheese fondue I had created into a crab and cheese fondue. And I am glad I did! Not only does this crab and cheese fondue satisfy my hubby’s deep desire for lots of meat, but it also really just tastes ridiculously delicious! It’s seriously the best fondue I’ve ever tasted. And it’s pretty filling, too.
Ideas for Crab and Cheese Fondue Dippers
To enjoy this crab and cheese fondue recipe on plan for Trim Healthy Mama or keto, here are a few ideas of items to dip into it:
- WWBB (Wonderful White Blender Bread, an egg white based bread recipe in Trim Healthy Table), cut into chunks and possibly toasted
- cloud bread, cut into chunks and possibly toasted
- veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, green beans, artichoke hearts, asparagus–lightly steamed/cooked)
- apples, cut into chunks (not a keto option, but on THM it works for a Crossover)
Crab and Cheese Fondue
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 12 ounces (1 ½ packages) ⅓ fat cream cheese
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- ½ cup low or no sugar mayonnaise
- ½ cup sherry cooking wine or chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 22 ounces cooked lump crab meat (canned is just fine, drain off any excess liquid)
- Rub the cut side of each garlic clove half all along the sides and bottom of a fondue crock; discard garlic clove.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except crab meat. Heat over medium to high heat, stirring almost constantly, until completely melted and blended together. If it is too thick for you, add more almond or cashew milk until desired consistency is achieved; if it is too thin for you, add about ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or gluccomannan.
- Add the crab meat, breaking it apart if it is sticking together. Allow to heat up, stirring almost constantly.
- Pour resulting crab and cheese fondue into the prepared fondue crock and serve.