Spicy cinnamon, juicy cranberries, hints of orange, and sweetness compose the notes of this easy-to-make cinnamon cranberry sauce.
I’ll admit it that cranberry sauce is not my favorite Thanksgiving dish. It’s okay. But it’s not great. However, I know that there are plenty of people who love this stuff and can’t imagine Thanksgiving without it–including some of my family member.
And that’s why I’m sharing my version of this recipe. I developed this recipe several years ago and I’ve tweaked it some since then (to take it from ordinary to a little tastier).
Now one thing that has always baffled me concerning cranberry sauce is why in the world do people buy it canned? It takes less than five minutes–literally–to throw it together yourself using fresh cranberries. So what’s the deal with the nasty-looking version that slurps out of a can with a plop?
When it comes to Thanksgiving meal prep, I’m all for doing as much as physically possible ahead of time. This cranberry sauce is easily one of those do-ahead dishes. You can make it one or two days before your feast. Just put it in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated then serve on the day-of nice and cold.
Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- ½ cup water
- 6 tablespoon THM Gentle Sweet (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons
orange zest OR 4 drops orange essential oil OR ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- Add the cranberries, water, sweetener, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a slow-rolling boil over medium-high heat. Stir often and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cranberries burst.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla extract and orange zest/oil/extract.
- Put in an airtight container and refrigerate. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Might be the best cranberry sauce recipe I’ve ever made! Thank you! I did make one change, as I didn’t have orange essential oil I used fresh orange zest. So yummy! Thank you again!