With a velvety smooth texture complete with chocolate and hints of hazelnut flavor, this Chocolate Hazelnut Shake is here to satisfy your Nutella cravings without ruining your healthy eating lifestyle.
My mouth regularly yearns for the flavors that are in Nutella’s chocolate hazelnut spread. There’s just something amazing about that combo. It’s addicting. But whilst doing Trim Healthy Mama, Nutella (which is, of course, totally loaded with sugar) is a big, bad no.
Now, yes, I could simply make my own on-plan chocolate hazelnut spread. It is great! Or, I can buy a sugar-free, on-plan version like this one or this one (this second one is actually my absolute favorite–SO yummy–but oh my does it hurt my tummy!). That’s great, too. However, both of these options can get a little pricey. Because hazelnuts aren’t the cheapest nut out there. They also aren’t always in season where I live.
So I created this recipe instead. It is super healthful and costs much less to make. Plus, it’s less work to make it, so it can be done on a whim for breakfast or dessert.
As a bonus, it’s also a Fuel Pull on Trim Healthy Mama! And it can be tweaked into E, S, or XO realms.
Chocolate Hazelnut Shake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1 cup plain double-fermented milk kefir, 1% cottage cheese, OR more almond or cashew milk
- ½ cup ice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (or more for a darker chocolate)
- 1½ tablespoons collagen (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Gentle Sweet (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut extract (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup Pristine Whey Protein Powder
- ¼ teaspoon mineral salt
- Add all ingredients, in order, into the jar of a blender.
- Run blender on the smoothie/shake setting until well blended.
- The resulting recipe yields a THM FP shake.
- To make it THM S or keto, use ¾ cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk plus ¼ cup heavy cream instead of the 1 cup almond milk. Or you can toss in a handful of hazelnuts (depending on the quality of your blender, there might be nut bits).
- To make it THM E, add ½ of a banana and reduce the Gentle Sweet to taste.
- To make it THM XO, do both the S and E options together.