Boost your immunity, detox your body, and more with this healthy, healing chicken soup recipe.
Whether you’re feeling under the weather with allergies, an illness, or stress or you hold the desire to reset and detox your body, this homemade, Trim Healthy Mama friendly healing chicken soup is for you.
This soup is reminiscent of chicken noodle soup, but without the unhealthy ingredients or the noodles. It is made low and slow in a slow cooker (Crock Pot) for eight or more hours to ensure all the nutritional goodness from its contents are fully absorbed.
Benefits of Healing Chicken Soup
This healing chicken soup has a powerhouse of healthy, immune boosting and healing ingredients including:
- chicken – Rich in carnosine, chicken helps with stuffy nose and throat and reduces inflammation in the upper respiratory tract. The broth created with chicken bones’ gelatin are in amino acids and it helps with digestion, heart health, and weight loss.
- onion – Onions (especially red) are rich in antioxidants. They’re good for boosting immunity and helping blood pressure.
- garlic – Garlic is good for your heart, lungs, and brain. It may also serve as an antibiotic.
- green beans – Green beans are rich in vitamins A, C, and K as well as folic acid and fiber.
- celery – Celery (including the leaves) is good for blood pressure and preventing inflammation.
- zucchini – Zucchini is good for your heart, bones, and weight loss.
- carrots – Carrots are good for your heart, eyes (vision), blood pressure, and immunity.
- ginger – Ginger is great for nausea, pain, inflammation, and your heart.
- turmeric – Turmeric is great for pain, inflammation, your liver, and digestion.
- parsley – Parsley is great for blood sugar, bones, and immunity.
- coconut oil – Coconut oil is good for blood sugar, good cholesterol, stress, your liver, your teeth, weight loss, and a lot more.
- cayenne pepper – Cayenne pepper is good for blood pressure, weight loss, digestion, and pain.
No Slow Cooker?
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can prepare this soup in a large stainless steel stock pot on the stovetop. Place a ceramic or glass plate directly on top of the the food in the liquid to keep it submersed and run it on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
Also, while it probably *could* cook up in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot), I would say no to doing that. A pressure cooker cooks it up too fast. It really needs the time to infuse the water and create the stock to where it is super packed full of nutrients. And that means low and slow.
Healing Chicken Soup
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 1 gallon purified water
- ½ pound green beans
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (including the leaves)
- 2 onions (any kind), chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon mineral salt
- ¼ cup pure coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Add all ingredients except the parsley to the crock of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Adjust the lid and turn the cooker to low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker, add the parsley (do NOT stir), and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a mesh sieve or a fine slotted spoon, carefully remove the chicken and chunks from the pot, pulling out and discarding bones and lemon chunks (squeeze the juice out first) and shredding chicken meat as you go; transfer to a large bowl or container as you do this. Keep in mind that you may possibly miss some smaller bones, so keep an eye as you eat it.