The natural, earthy sweetness of sweet potato blends beautifully with the salty and spicy flavor of shredded buffalo chicken in this amazing buffalo chicken twice baked sweet potatoes recipe.
Something I’ve been playing around with quite a bit lately is the baked sweet potato. My family and my church’s small group LOVE potatoes. But regular white (Russet) potatoes are WAY overboard on carbs, making them off plan in weight loss mode for Trim Healthy Mama.
Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, while they are a starchy and carby veggie, are totally ON plan for Trim Healthy Mama (and, sorry, keto friends–sweet potatoes are considered off plan for keto diets especially in strict ones because it can throw off ketosis)! So, whenever I make baked potatoes for my family, it is SUPER easy to also throw a sweet potato in for myself (not really any more work). Likewise, with this recipe I’m about to share, I prepare my family’s white baked potatoes almost exactly the same way. The difference (besides the potato) is I add actual cheddar cheese instead of the cheese wedge. I don’t even use any more dishes–I prepare my sweet potato first then I use the same dishes afterwards to prepare their white potatoes (a wee bit sweet potato gets in it, but not enough they notice).
When I make these buffalo chicken twice baked sweet potatoes, I typically do NOT serve anything with them. One half of a single sweet potato (keep in mind I use LARGE sweet potatoes) is usually plenty filling for me. If you need a little more to eat to feel full, you can enjoy some leafy greens with the Neutraltastic (Fuel Pull) version of my ranch dressing or you can enjoy some steamed non-starchy veggies.
Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large (8 or more ounces) sweet potato
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded (see notes)
- ½ cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce OR my Homemade Hot Pepper Sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos or tamari
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Creamy White Cheddar Cheese
- ½ teaspoon mineral salt
- 2 tablespoons TJ's House Ranch Dressing (made with Greek yogurt, not mayo)
- cilantro, parsley, or celery leaves for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wash the sweet potato then, using a sharp paring knife, poke four or five holes in it. Place the potato on a parchment paper or silicone lined sheet pan or baking dish and pop in the oven for 40 minutes to an hour. The sweet potato is done when you can easily poke into it with a fork.
- Meanwhile, mix the cooked and shredded chicken, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid aminos or tamari together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Once the sweet potato is done, cut it in half then CAREFULLY (it will obviously be very hot) scoop out most of the meat from each half and place it in a clean bowl. Leave about ⅛ inch worth of meat in to prevent the skin from breaking.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash the sweet potato meat. Squish in the cheese wedge and salt and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Stuff the mashed sweet potato mixture evenly into the potato skins. Top each evenly with the chicken mixture.
- Return to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until good and hot.
- Drizzle with the ranch dressing, top with garnish, and serve.
Nutrition facts are approximate and may vary based on several factors. Please read my Nutrition Disclaimer.